Preventative Dentistry Explained

 In uncategorized

Preventative dentistry is dental care that promotes oral hygiene care. These measures intend to prevent issues with oral health, such as yellow teeth, periodontal diseases, and tooth loss. Some preventative dentistry services include:

  • oral exams every six months
  • two-yearly dental x-rays
  • orals cancer screening
  • teeth cleaning or what dentists refer to as scaling and polishing
  • fluoride treatments
  • fissure sealants
  • mouth guards, such as night guards to prevent you from grinding your teeth at night or mouth guards to wear while you play sports

Oral Hygiene

The majority of your preventative dentistry begins with basic oral hygiene at home. Good oral hygiene helps prevent dental caries, tooth decay, and periodontal disease. Proper dental hygiene and preventative dentistry fundamentals include cleaning your teeth twice daily, once in the morning and once before bedtime. In addition, use dental floss regularly, twice a day, to remove food particles from between your teeth. Tooth brushing can only clean around 70% of the tooth’s surface. You can achieve the remaining 30% by flossing the teeth.

Avoid Sweet Foods

Reduce your consumption of sweet and sticky meals and acidic foods such as lemon water and fruit juice. The moderate use of acidic foods is beneficial, while excessive consumption might compromise oral health. Acidic foods should be taken with other foods during the night to minimize the contact time of acids with teeth.

Avoid Beverages and Acidic Drinks

Folks are unaware that carbonated beverages, fruit juice, and acidic foods like pickles and honey may cause tooth decay. The regular consumption of orange and lemon wedges is hazardous. Certain foods and beverages contain acids that may erode tooth enamel, leaving teeth sensitive and discolored.

Rinsing the Mouth with Water and Chewing Sugarless Gum

You can mitigate the acidic effects of foods by cleansing with water and chewing sugar-free gum. If you must consume acidic drinks, you should avoid swishing them or keeping them in your mouth for lengthy periods. Instead, drink them using a straw quickly. Likewise, do not linger with acidic foods in your mouth.

These are some preventative dentistry recommendations for maintaining your health and happiness. But, of course, excellent dental health begins with you; you should see your dentist twice a year for a thorough examination and a cleaning.

Contact Information

Wytheville Dental Group can help you with your endeavor to maintain proper oral hygiene. Our specialists work round the clock to offer speedy, professional dental care. Contact us today.